Do you want to maintain a healthy hair looking best daily? Below are the dos and don’ts in hair care.
Dos for Hair Care
- Do wash your hair regularly using the correct hair products. For dry hair, use moisture-drenching shampoo. If your hair is oily, use purifying oil-regulating shampoo frequently.
- Do comb your hair daily in the morning. It is essential in removing any dust, loose scales and dirt. Besides, it stimulates blood circulation distributing sebum along the hair shaft which is necessary for healthy hair.
- Do brush your hair every night before bedtime. If the hair is long, bend your head forward and comb the hair from the base moving forward.
- Do wear a swimming cap while swimming in a chlorinated swimming pool. Chlorinated water is harmful to your hair and should be avoided by all means. If you swim without a cap, ensure to wash your hair with clean water afterward.
- Nourish the scalp with oil at least twice every week. It is useful in softening and strengthening graying hair. The recommended scalp oil includes almond oil, extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil. They are known to easily penetrate the skin for better result. You should soak a cotton ball in one of the oils and dab on your scalp. Leave it for about half an hour then wash with warm water and rinse it with cold water to flatten the hair cuticles.
- Do eat a balanced diet that is rich in essential fatty acids. A healthy diet will be reflected in your hair. Thus, to ensure that the hair is taken care of proper dieting is recommended.
- Do protect your hair from extreme sunlight. You should avoid exposing your hair to the sun during extreme hot times. Instead, you can choose to cover it with a hat when doing outdoor activities or stay indoors.
Don’ts for Hair Care
- Do not tie your hair so tight and especially when wet. Wet hair is weak and therefore has a high risk of breaking. It is advisable to avoid overstretching your hair when wet if you are to maintain healthy hair.
- Do not blow dry your hair regularly. The heat from the drier is harmful to your hair. Each time you blow-dry your hair weakens and soon you will start noticing hair falling out. It is, therefore, recommended to blow dry occasionally such that the hair remains strong and healthy.
- Do not forget to regularly trim your hair. Trimming should be done at least every four to six weeks. It is necessary to trim your hair to remove split hairs that easily break.
- Avoid the use a comb with narrow spikes on wet hair. Instead, use one that has a wide-tooth for better results. Narrow spikes comb will only break your hair. While combing, start from the tip slowly moving down to the base.
- Avoid using a towel to dry your hair after washing. While a towel seems to perfectly dry your hair it is also known to damage it. Thus, for proper hair care, it is essential to avoid the use of it. Instead, use an old t-shirt and wrap your hair after washing.
- Avoid the use of petroleum and mineral oil on your hair as it will only clog the scalp. Instead, use light penetrating oil such as olive, avocado or coconut that are known to promote hair care.